Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Legacy……….



On January 4, Mr. Bruce Halle, founder of Discount Tire passed away. I had the privilege of working on a Discount Tire project a few years ago.  Two things were very obvious my first week on the contract.  When a customer called for help, you did whatever it took to take care of it and worked the problem through till resolution was complete. Corporate headquarters did not let those at the stores hang. Another refreshing observation was the friendliness found in the Discount Tire workplace. It was almost like everyone was family

Now remember I was not an employee of Discount Tire. During my time there I was just a faceless contractor hired to assist with an SAP implementation. One afternoon on my way back from lunch, I noticed an older gentleman walking towards the door I had just entered. I went back and I held the door open for the elderly gentleman. The gentleman looked at my badge and said "thank you, Rory". When I mentioned it to co-workers they remarked, oh you just met Mr. Halle. From that point on during the project, anytime Mr. Halle saw me he always greeted me by name. The founder set the standard for courtesy at Discount Tire.

During my time at Discount Tire, a local fellow greyhound adopter needed new tires. She had her greyhound with her when she dropped her car off at Discount Tire. It was during the summer months and for those of you who may not know, here in the valley of the sun temps are often over 100 degrees and it gets very toasty in a vehicle. Later that afternoon when she picked up her car, she did not see it in the Discount Tire parking lot.  Asking where her car was, the Discount Tire technician told her that the car was in another lot parked under a tree so it would be shaded and kept cooler for her greyhound. That is what Discount Tire employees do. They care about their customers.



Courtesy. Caring. Consideration. Doing your job well. Mr. Halle lived that from the day he started Discount Tire with very little money and 6 tires till the day he passed way as a 5-time billionaire. That is a legacy that is passed down from Mr. Halle to many who had the privilege to meet him or work for Discount Tire. 


Be nice, treat others as you would want to be treated and take care of customers. You do that and you will be successful.

We each need to ask ourselves - What will my legacy be? Will it be all about me? Or should we strive to be sure our legacy is what we have taught others and shown to others so that they can pass along kindness and service to others? 

No comments:

Post a Comment